On 07/25/2017 04:05, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
> resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
> end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
> in unpredictable ways.
>
> Here's the current draft:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
>
> The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
> and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
> about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
>
> What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
> covered?
>
> Copy of the markup for inline comments follows.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but will this GLEP update or replace this
existing Wiki article on using git w/ Gentoo?:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow

Some of the step-by-step bits in the above Wiki page look like good candidates
to be integrated into the GLEP.  It also contains guidelines on writing commit
messages, such as limiting the first line to ~50 characters, an optional body
wrapped at 75 chars/line, and including the usual git tags for sign-off and
such.  Though, I like the explicitness of the GLEP's text on a few things more.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And our
lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic