On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:45:57 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> William L. Thomson Jr. posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:10:42 -0400 as
> excerpted:
>
> > It seems odd that upstream will release a package. Just for
> > downstream to consider it not stable. Did it get messed up during
> > packaging? Did it get messed up by the distro? The whole lag thing
> > does not make sense for Gentoo. Sooner released and tested on
> > Gentoo. Sooner bugs can be founded, reported back to upstream, etc.
> > Speeds up development. That is Gentoo's role in FOSS IMHO.
>
> Not so odd.  Gentoo's arch-stable has a different meaning than
> upstream's stable.  As a long time gentooer I'm surprised you weren't
> aware of this already.

If upstream does a new release, fixes bugs. Gentoo marks a previous
release stable. It is stabilizing a package with issues fixed upstream.
That does not make sense. Gentoo issues maybe good, but not upstreams.

I maintained packages like iText which used to have a 30 day release
cycle. Up till recently Jetty was about the same. As a end user, I
needed the bug fixes. Not the delay for it be marked stable.

I stopped running Redhat long ago due to time to vet updates. I run
Gentoo for the speed of being able to package and test out new code.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.