On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 05:56:25PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote

> If upstream does a new release, fixes bugs. Gentoo marks a previous
> release stable. It is stabilizing a package with issues fixed upstream.
> That does not make sense. Gentoo issues maybe good, but not upstreams.
>
> I maintained packages like iText which used to have a 30 day release
> cycle. Up till recently Jetty was about the same. As a end user, I
> needed the bug fixes. Not the delay for it be marked stable.
>
> I stopped running Redhat long ago due to time to vet updates. I run
> Gentoo for the speed of being able to package and test out new code.

  What I get out of this discussion is that some people prefer to run
~arch versus stable arch.  I have no problem with that.  But I do object
to dropping "stable" altogether.  I personally run stable with the rare
occasional unstable package, where it's either not available as stable,
or the unstable version fixes a bug in the stable version.  And just for
kicks I'm running gcc 6.3.0.

  It's one thing to rush-stabilize a new package that fixes a security
hole.  But I don't see the point of rush-stabilizing everything "just
because".  I recommend mostly keeping our current setup, with one
change, i.e. allowing security-fix ebuilds to go "stable" immediately.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>