W dniu pon, 11.09.2017 o godzinie 13∶29 -0400, użytkownik Michael
Orlitzky napisał:
> On 09/11/2017 01:08 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > TL;DR: I'd like to reinstate the old-school GLEPs in .rst files rather
> > than Wiki, put in a nice git repo.
> >

> I generally agree with you that wiki markup is terrible and that a text
> editor and a git repo is The Right Way to do things (with Jekyll or
> whatever to push it to the web). But in my experience, crappy and easy
> is a better way to get people to contribute. When I've taken wiki
> documents and moved them into git repos, more often than not I become
> the sole contributor, and otherwise-technical people just start emailing
> me their contributions (which decrease greatly in frequency).

Rich already answered this in detail, so I'll skip it.

> Will it be possible to build the GLEP rst files locally, and view the
> output exactly as it would appear on the website? I ask because, so long
> as you don't want to be able to preview the result, you can already
> write MediaWiki markup into a text file locally. The offline "live
> preview" ability is the killer feature of RST as I see it.

Of course yes. However, the exactness of result depends on how much
effort you put into it.

The 'easy way' is rst2html.py (dev-python/docutils). It will give you
a rough rendering with a standard style, i.e. kinda ugly but enough to
see if everything works as expected. You'll also see the preamble as big
mumbo-jumbo on top.

Then, there's glep.py (dev-python/docutils-glep) which adds preamble
parsing, table of contents and some styling. AFAICS it needs a bit
handiwork (copying a stylesheet to a relative directory) but it gives
nice old-school rendering.

Then, you can just take www.gentoo.org and run it locally. It takes
a little more effort but jekyll is really trivial to set up and run
locally. Then you see it exactly how it's gonna look on g.o.

As a side note, we may also rename GLEPs to .rst. Then, GitHub will also
provide out-of-the-box rendering of them.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny