> Just a side node, this seems to be the ultimate sandbox we (Gentoo and
> portage) are after.  With this, we might even be able to have portage
> full functional: a build is completely determined and only determined by
> the dependencies and USE flags.

If you want to have reproducible binaries, you may also want to alter the clock
of the sandbox system.

Suggestions:

At start, set the date as EPOCH (i.e., in 1970).

Each time a file date seems to be set in the future (by tar, ...), set the date
of the sandbox system to that date plus a milisecond.

Each time a file is created or touched, advance the date of the sandbox system
by one milisecond.

Xdej