> On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:20 PM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> On 09/14/2018 03:58 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
>>>
>>> No one has answered the question: what do you do when a stable package
>>> breaks because of a new warning?
>>>
>>> ...>
>> Wouldn’t this be largely covered as part of GCC stabilization? We could
>> reserve the right to kill -Werror in a package where it blocks GCC
>> stabilization if the maintainer does not handle it in a timely manner.
>>>

> They would be uncovered during GCC stabilization, but then you're right
> back in the original situation: how do you fix the stable package? The
> only answer that doesn't violate some other policy is to patch it in a
> new revision and wait for it to stabilize again.
This depends on the issue.

> Other questions arise: Do we block stabilization of clang et al.?
We probably should start doing that once Clang is able to build everything, but
someone would need to volunteer to handle it. It is a big job.

> If we can simply remove -Werror because it's been a month, were the
> warnings ever really important to begin with?
That was a suggestion to handle maintainer non-response. You can already do
whatever you want if the maintainer is non-responsive after telling him in a
bug that you will do something if a response is not made in a reasonable period
(e.g. 2 weeks). I am just pointing it out.

> How many packages do we want to make the toolchain team stop and fix
> before they can do their jobs?
Presumably, the maintainers would handle this. If they cannot, they should not
be honoring upstream’s -Werror policy.