Hi Ralph,

If you want follow this adventure you could try this:

https://github.com/geaaru/node-ebuilder

I wrote this tool that try to reduce workload on create ebuilds of all
dependencies of nodejs modules.

But:
- is not officially supported by gentoo team
- currently doesn't support new dependencies related to a subdirectory of a
project (new nodejs releases implement something similar to golang dep
injection)
- EAPI 7 is not currently supported
- you need add npmv1.eclass on your overlay
- from my experience I see that a lot of packages are build without follow
a clean tree of sources so often you need hack installation
- ebuilds create with node-ebuilder aren't always correct (but I think that
at least 60% of the job is done correctly)
- currently multi slot is not supported but you can force package deps with
NPM_LOCAL_MODULES env variable

I currently use it for create ebuilds of same packages in production.

There is a lot of work for improve this tool but it follow old perl-cpan
idea.

I know... there are a lot of contraindications on create automatically
ebuild but in this case if you prefer like me handle dependencies of a
module as portage package could be a good start point.

My cent.
Regards,
G.