yeah, documentation is missing :'( few time.

However, I will try to add at least Readme on christmas's holidays or
before if I can.

In general, you can run node-ebuilder in this way:

node bin/node-ebuilder.js --config config.json5 --dir <packagedir>

Where you can use directly config.json5 from project and modify only
overlay directory.

You can find a lot of ebuilds on my overlay with different examples.

Thanks for your interest.