On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 22:22 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > Surely, you can claim we could just drop them to maintainer-needed.
> > What problem does that solve?  The package would still miss 3.7 support.
> > Users will still suffer when we switch the default (if they have any
> > users, that is).  We would still have to last rite them when 3.6 is
> > gone.  What's the gain?
> > Right, let's talk about m-needed.  Over 2000 packages already and still
> > growing.  What message does *that* send to the users?
>
> Sorry, but where have I suggested to drop these packages to m-n?
>
> > How about the following message: the difference between Gentoo
> > and Debian stable is that Gentoo doesn't have the 'b'.
> > Finally, what message does it send to our users when developers keep
> > picking up fights like this?  You seem to disagree with my work
> > on Gentoo, and the only solution you can come up is publicly shaming me?
> > This isn't 'let's discuss a better solution' kind of mail, this is
> > 'justify yourself before me, you puny developer, how dare you do things
> > I don't like'.
>
> This is neither a fight nor a personal issue. Also, please don't put
> words in my mouth that I haven't said and never intended to say.
>
> Ulrich

In general, I don't the see the point of this thread. Python requires explicit
implementation enabling, and unless you're willing to help test py3.7 on py3.6-
only packages, complaining about masking packages gets us absolutely nowhere.
Propose actual solutions and step in to help and bump packages. Walk the walk,
don't just talk the talk.