On Sat, 23 May 2020 23:40:22 -0700
Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:21 PM Joonas Niilola <juip...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >

> > On 5/24/20 5:41 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> > > Also, people are likely to disable this accidentally via USE="-*".
> >
> > Counts as
> >
> > > if they want to break their system intentionally.
>
> Yes, but unfortunately catalyst's stage1 build does exactly this.
>
> Suggestions how to avoid doing this would be appreciated, but until
> that's resolved we don't have carte blanche to break USE="-*".

Ah, I keep forgetting about catalyst. Use-forced flags as:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=0f8b5b847429642977d4c0497068a93222ff3136

While at it added a page that explains how to turn it back by enthusiasts:
    https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Toolchain/use_native_symlinks
and will collect more details on typical fixes and "this is fine to ignore"
pitfalls.

--

  Sergei