On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:41:02 -0400
Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:36 PM Sergei Trofimovich <sly...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > 'tc-directly' tracker https://bugs.gentoo.org/243502 tracks
> > packages that don't respect users' CC/AR/LD flags.
> >
> > I added new USE=-native-symlinks mode for gcc-config and
> > binutils-config to ease detection of such packages.
> >
> > Native symlinks are still installed by default. Nothing should
> > break for users who use default USE flags.
> >
> > USE=-native-symlinks removes a bunch of links that most packages
> > use by default until are overridden explicitly. Incomplete list is:
> > - /lib/cpp
> > - /usr/bin/{gcc,cc,g++,c++,...}
> > - /usr/bin/{as,ld,ranlib,dwp,...}
> >
> > The rule of thumb is: if a tool does not have ${CTARGET}- prefix
> > it will probably disappear with USE=-native-symlinks.
> >
> > (At least eventually) 'emerge' should still be able to build most
> > of packages in such environment. I expect initial breakage will be
> > huge though.
>
> Could you please add this flag to package.use.force?

Added as
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=0f8b5b847429642977d4c0497068a93222ff3136

> I don't think we
> want to give people the impression that this is a well-supported
> configuration. I would only expect people to disable this if they want
> to break their system intentionally.

Yeah, today it's certainly a way to get your system in a miserable state.
My hope is that USE=-native-symlinks can get you a working Gentoo in a
near future by only fixing real package problems and limitations of their
build systems.

--

  Sergei