On 8/10/2020 22:08, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 9:55 PM Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> bitrot and bus factor.
>>
>> Examples?
>
> The sole maintainer of eudev is going to suddenly disappear before
> getting a chance to tell anybody about the horrible security issue
> they discovered earlier that day.
>
>> You meant to say "has yet to come true".
>> Elsewise, as long as that door remains open, then future tense is
>> the correct tense.
>
> Note that the disappearance of the sole maintainer of eudev has yet to
> happen, but we absolutely need to be taking steps today because
> everybody knows it will happen.  After all, it COULD happen, and so as
> long as that door remains open the future tense is the correct tense.
> :)

I don't disagree completely with your logic, but I *do* disagree that
changing the default udev provider to sys-fs/udev is the best option, or the
only option.

> I find it amusing that everybody is still trembling in fear that
> Lennart is going to take their shell scripts away from them in the
> middle of the night.  But it isn't like anybody needs to touch that
> cruft if they don't want to just because they're working on Gentoo, so
> whatever rocks your boat.

I don't tremble in fear.  I am past that stage at this point, and have just
accepted the fact that at some point, the Linux I used to know and love will
be something I can't work with anymore, and I'll just need to pack my
proverbial bags and move on to greener pastures.  The day when Linux and
systemd become inseparable will happen.  But it won't be like going to sleep
the night before and waking up in an alien world.  The change will be slow
and gradual, just like it has been for the past eight-plus years.  The
question is more, what is my tolerance?  At what point do I give up and move
on?  Haven't found that answer yet, so here I still am, arguing.

> Really though I'd just stick with "ain't broke don't fix it" as there
> really is no reason to get into paranoid FUD.

"Ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't apply here.  My read of recent messages
on this thread suggest to me the change is going to happen, regardless what
a number of us think about it.  See last few sentences of the prior
paragraph above.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic