On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 9:01 AM Marc Schiffbauer <msch...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> * Mike Gilbert schrieb am 01.09.22 um 03:38 Uhr:
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Jaco Kroon <j...@uls.co.za> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > That really depends.
> > >
> > > If the expectation is that everything in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*} needs to
> > > now fit on / rather than /usr we're queued to re-install a very, very
> > > large number of hosts.
> >
> > You have that reversed: the expectation is that everything in
> > /{bin,sbin,lib} will fit in /usr. In other words, we move files from /
> > into /usr.
>
> So does this mean, that having /usr on a seperate filesystem remains
> "supported" but is now only possible with a proper initrd?

Switching to merged-usr does make it pretty much impossible to boot
without an initramfs if /usr is on a separate filesystem.

Having /usr on a separate filesystem without an initramfs to mount it
has been "unsupported" for several years; the council made a decision
on that in 2013 [1].

[1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130813-summary.txt