On 2022-08-31 17:27, Mike Gilbert wrote:

The only pain point I see is for users with /usr on a separate
filesystem and that are not using an appropriate initramfs.

As mentioned on IRC earlier on today, another (although this would be less of a pain point and more of a sneaky changes to run-time behaviour of a system) might be ebuilds which rely on PATH precedence of /usr/bin over /bin to override binaries installed in the latter by other packages. Some examples:

- app-arch/lbzip2[symlink] - installs /usr/bin/b{,un}zip2 to override /bin/b{,un}zip2 installed by app-arch/bzip2;

 - app-arch/pigz[symlink] - ditto for g{,un}zip and app-arch/gzip;

- app-arch/gzip installs the symlink /bin/uncompress pointing to gunzip, app-arch/ncompress installs /usr/bin/uncompress pointing to compress.

There probably are more though, and I feel these will all need a systemic change - eselect modules? shell aliases? - to how such overrides are handled. Still, for the time being packages which have such behaviour controlled by USE flags should me added to package.use.force of relevant profiles.

--
Marecki