On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 3:31 PM Andrew Ammerlaan
<andrewammerl...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 26/04/2023 18:12, Matt Turner wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 11:31 AM Florian Schmaus <f...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> The discussion would be more productive if someone who is supporting the
> >> EGO_SUM deprecation could rationally summarize the main arguments why we
> >> deprecated EGO_SUM.
> >
> > You're requesting the changes. It's on you to read the previous
> > threads and try to understand. It's not others' responsibilities to
> > justify the status quo to you, but tl;dr is Manifest files grew to
> > insane sizes for golang packages with many dependencies, and the
> > Manifest size is a cost all Gentoo users pay regardless of whether
> > they use the package.
> >

> This is a valid point and I think it is clear. What is not clear however
> is why the EGO_SUM method should be dropped entirely instead of keeping
> it as an option for overlays (with an appropriate warning). As I
> remember this is where the discussion got 'stuck' last time.
>
> There are other cases where things are possible but prohibited in
> ::gentoo by policy. E.g. the acct-user eclass allows setting
> ACCT_USER_ID to -1 for dynamic assignment, but we do not allow this in
> ::gentoo. I don't see why we could not do the same for EGO_SUM, keep it
> as an option, while disallowing it in ::gentoo.

I suspect allowing it unrestricted in overlays is fine—which seems to
be the major practical issue that spurred this thread.

Sam suggested a requirement for a maximum Manifest size (presumably
thinking about ::gentoo), and Florian replied:

> Asking to impose an artificial limit is based on the same unfounded
> belief under which EGO_SUM was deprecated in the first place. I am
> worried that if we follow this, then a potential next step is to argue
> about adding packages to ::gentoo.

So I think that's where the disagreement is.