> Ühel kenal päeval, P, 09.07.2023 kell 10:10, kirjutas Sam James:
>>
>> zurabid2...@gmail.com writes:
>>
>> > I am new here, so I'm sorry in advance for any stupid thing I may
>> > say. I want to adopt hunspell for various reasons and what I've
>> > noticed is a plethora of app-dicts/myspell-* packages (for each
>> > language there's one).
>> >
>> > I suggest merging them into one big myspell-dicts package, which
>> > will certainly reduce maintenance burden (the similar thing is done
>> > with libreoffice-l10n, I think).
>>
>> My only real question is why they're split in the first place and
>> if there's some good reason for that. I've no idea.

> I would guess that they are different packages because they all have a
> different SRC_URI. Many to some libreoffice assets download location,
> but not all.
> Maybe they could all come from the same source in an updated packaging
> though, I don't know the background.

These are different packages because they have different upstreams,
versioning schemes, and release cycles. Since we tend to follow
upstream packaging, I'm not sure if combining them would make sense.

I'm also not sure if it would reduce maintenance burden. I maintain
app-i18n/man-pages-l10n, which gets way more frequent releases than the
formerly separate man-pages-* packages, with each version bump requiring
build and test for all supported languages instead of just one.

Ulrich