>> https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-project&m=168918875000738&w=2
>> https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-project&m=168881103930591&w=2

> I think this misrepresents my point. All I said was that a bound should
> be added matching what's in Portage right now.
>
> Please in future respond to me directly if you're going to claim something
> about what I've said.
>
>> [...]
>> EGO_SUM affects two dimensions that could be limited/restricted:
>> A) the process environment, which may run into the Linux kernel
>>    environment limit on exec(3)
>> B) the size of the package directory, where EGO_SUM affects the size of
>>    ebuilds and the Manifest
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> A), however, is a different beast. There is undeniably a
>> kernel-enforced limit that we could hit due to an extremely large
>> EGO_SUM (among other things). However, the only bug report I know that
>> runs into this kernel limit was with texlive (bug #719202). The low
>> number of recorded bugs caused by the environment limit matches with
>> the fact that even the ebuild with the most EGO_SUM entries that I
>> ever analyzed, app-containers/cri-o-1.23.1 (2022-02-16) with 2052
>> EGO_SUM entries, does *not* run into the environment limit.
>>

> I thought I'd gave you a list before, but maybe it was someone else.
>
> Anyway, a non-exhaustive list (I remember maybe two more but I got bored):
> * https://bugs.gentoo.org/829545 ("app-admin/vault-1.9.1 - find: The
> environment is too large for exec().")
> * https://bugs.gentoo.org/829684 ("app-metrics/prometheus-2.31.1 - find: The
> environment is too large for exec().")
> * https://bugs.gentoo.org/830187 (you're CC'd on this) ("go lang ebuild:
> SRC_URI too long that it causes "Argument list too long" error")
> * https://bugs.gentoo.org/831265 ("sys-cluster/minikube-1.24.0 - find: The
> environment is too large for exec().")
> * a0be89b772474e3336d3de699d71482aa89d2444 ("app-emulation/nerdctl: drop
> 0.14.0")

Sorry, as I said this, I came across some more. These are the ones I was
thinking of:
* https://bugs.gentoo.org/830266 ("app-admin/filebeat-7.16.2 fails to compile:
Assertion failed: bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX (xargs.c: main: 511)")
* https://bugs.gentoo.org/832964 ("sys-cluster/kops-1.21.0 fails to compile:
Assertion failed: bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX (xargs.c: main: 511)")
* https://bugs.gentoo.org/833961 ("net-p2p/go-ipfs-0.11.0 - Assertion failed:
bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX (xargs.c: main: 511)")
* https://bugs.gentoo.org/835712 ("dev-util/packer-1.7.9 fails to compile: