On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:50:13 +0100
Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> orbea <or...@riseup.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:21:21 +0100
> > Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Someone has to then bother reviewing it, merging it, releasing it,
> >> and ideally updating eudev for other stuff like this.
> >>
> >> Also note that the PR is a hack rather than a full implementation
> >> of the functionality anyway, which may lead to runtime
> >> misbehaviour.
> >
> > According to upstream it implement's systemd's fallback path as
> > explained in this comment.
> >
> > https://github.com/eudev-project/eudev/issues/249#issuecomment-1675520914
> >

> That same comment goes on to say it's the "quick-n-dirty" fix and may
> break applications.

Slibtool also has no-op compatibility fixes that potentially could
cause issues too, I don't see this being a problem there. If eudev was
entirely broken or not being used I could understand why to remove it,
but rather this is removing software that mostly works and is being
used. With all due honesty is very disappointing to see this, I started
to use Gentoo because it offered choices.