On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 11:35 AM orbea <or...@riseup.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:17:00 +0100
> Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:

> > > It isn't like somebody is censoring the lists or waging commit wars
> > > on the metadata.xml/mask file.  If somebody was eager to maintain
> > > it I'm sure they'd have spoken up.

> > > I'm not puzzled by what is going on, or by your email, because it
> > > happens basically anytime a high-profile package is treecleaned.
> > > Yes, Gentoo is about choice, but somebody has to actually do work
> > > to make the choices viable.  There are always more people
> > > interested in using software than maintaining it.  The frustration
> > > is completely understandable, but also kinda unavoidable.
> > >
> > > Repo QA standards don't mean that it has to barely work for your
> > > specific use case.  The package has to deal with compatibility
> > > issues with stuff you don't use as well, which is why maintaining a
> > > system package can be hard work.  It is usually less of an issue
> > > for more ordinary applications, which tend to have fewer
> > > interactions.  If it is "good enough" for you as it is, then just
> > > move it to a private overlay and keep using it.  You probably would
> > > need to override a virtual or two as well.  Or publish your work
> > > somewhere others can use it.
> >
> > Yes. We value having a coherent system with decent UX and we have
> > to choose what we can support. Users are free to override those
> > choices in local repositories - and if they want advice on the best
> > way to do so, they're free to ask.
> >

> As evidenced by the ::libressl overlay where I am repeatedly
> copy/pasting changes from ::gentoo that have nothing to do with
> libressl this is not a very good solution. This is a huge amount of
> redundant and pointless effort that would be better suited being
> directly in the ::gentoo repo.

I think most people aren't going to be swayed by "it's really
inefficient for me to do $xyz outside of ::gentoo" where xyz is
something that they find useless.

> What would be required so this is not required for eudev too? At the
> risk of repeating myself its working on my systems and I am willing to
> look at bugs and put in effort into keeping it functional.
>
> I don't think this is a matter of not having people willing to put
> effort in, but that no one wants to let them have the chance.

Conspiracy alert!

It's been more than 2 years since
https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-08-24-eudev-retirement.html

People have had plenty of time. More chances than were fair have been
given. Nothing has changed, except eudev has further diverged from
upstream udev.