Andreas K. Huettel wrote:

>>> I'm not puzzled by what is going on, or by your email, because it
>>> happens basically anytime a high-profile package is treecleaned.  Yes,
>>>  Gentoo is about choice, but somebody has to actually do work to make
>>>  the choices viable.  There are always more people interested in
>>> using software than maintaining it.  The frustration is completely
>>> understandable, but also kinda unavoidable.
>>
>> It starts to bother me that so many people straight away assume that
>> when someone questions things it's because they are a frustrated user
> <snip>
>

> The eudev experiment has failed.
> * It was false labeling from the start.[*]
> * It's barely alive and not keeping up with udev upstream.

Why does it have to? It is advertised as a fork after all.

> * It's effectively unmaintained in Gentoo.

That could change. Isn't that why a last rite comes with 30 days notice?

> * You don't gain anything from using it instead of udev.
> (Nobody does.)

Is there only 1 tool for the job? Why do we have both the OpenIPMI and
ipmitool projects, both curl and wget, chrome and firefox. Wouldn't it be
better if we just choose one of each of those pairs and concentrate on it?

> So why should anyone put up the effort to package it?

Same question for the above choices and plenty of other examples.

What's wrong with having an alternative purely for competition?

> [*] Take something out of the systemd tarball, reapply every commit,
> make tiny changes so it looks different,

That's basically how most forks start isn't it?