> I'm confused, you're against adding "massive header blocks" but you're
> fine with Arthur's 9 line entry but not my 8 line one.

Your 8 line entry was this (please correct me if you meant to refer to
an entry from a different message):

--- 8< ---
# [PREAMBLE]
# Timestamp: 2023-09-21 15:07:42+00:00
# Author: Arthur Zamarin <arthur...@gentoo.org>
# Justification: Very broken, no idea why packaged, need to drop ASAP.
#     The project is done with supporting this package.
# Bugs: 667687, 667689
# Packages: dev-lang/python
dev-lang/python
--- >8 ---

And Arthur's was this:

--- 8< ---
# Arthur Zamarin <arthur...@gentoo.org> (2023-09-21)
# Very broken, no idea why packaged, need to drop ASAP. The project
# is done with supporting this package. See for history bug #667889.
#
# As a better plan, you should migrate to dev-lang/perl, which has
# better compatibility with dev-lang/ruby when used with dev-lang/lua
# bindings.
# Removal on 2023-10-21.  Bug #667687, #667689.
dev-lang/python
--- >8 ---

Of course it is longer when it contains 4 additional lines of
explanation.

> My idea was a stop gap to add something easily parsed once the
> comments are stripped but keeping the comments in place currently for
> backwards compatibility.

Yes, understood. I think we should keep the "simple line-based file"
format [1] with comments. If we would change it to something completely
different, we would also impose that format on users' (public or
private) overlays.

Also, we'd either have to change the files in /etc/portage (not sure how
popular that would be) or live with two different and incompatible
formats in profiles and user configuration.

Ulrich

[1] https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/8/pms.html#x1-480005.2.5