> 1. The [4]/[5] probably should list full domain name rather than g.o

Yes, but the wiki does not allow full links into itself. Will be fixed
in the final news item.

> 2. According to 23.0_update_table, my non-systemd
> default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma should now be
> default/linux/amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop/plasma.

Correct.

> But that name looks
> like merged-usr is now considered "better" than split-usr, as it has to
> be specifically mentioned in the profile name.

I'd prefer "more standard", "more common", "more usual" ...

It'll definitely soon be the configuration where software is (globally)
more tested, independent of what Gentoo does. (if that is not already the
case now...)

> Therefore I probably should migrate to merged-usr.

You can migrate after the profile upgrade, but you don't have to.
No hurry.

> But the only instruction how to do that
> assumes systemd.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Merge-usr

Doesn't mention systemd anywhere. I'll update this page a bit
mentioning the new naming scheme in 23.0, and link it in the news item.

> And there's no plasma profile with merged-usr but
> without systemd anyway... except that there is:
> default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma, it's just not mentioned in the
> table.

It's fairly simple:
* In 17.x, every systemd split-usr profile has a corresponding merged-usr
profile
* In 23.0, every split-usr profile has a corresponding merged-usr profile

Cheers -a

--
PD Dr. Andreas K. Huettel
Institute for Experimental and Applied Physics

tel. +49 151 241 67748 (mobile)
tel. +49 941 943 1618 (office)
e-mail andreas.huet...@ur.de
https://www.akhuettel.de/