> On 10/01/2024 14.58, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
>> Looks like readme.gentoo-r1 already gives you control over this:
>> # If you want to show them always, please set FORCE_PRINT_ELOG to a non empty
>> # value in your ebuild before this function is called.
>> # This can be useful when, for example, DOC_CONTENTS is modified, then, you
>> can
>> # rely on specific REPLACING_VERSIONS handling in your ebuild to print
>> messages
>> # when people update from versions still providing old message.

> It is easy to forget setting FORCE_PRINT_ELOG, just as it is easy to
> forget to unset it again.

> An automatism is always preferable over a manual solution.

Maybe I want manual control? For example, when I fix a typo in the
README file then I don't want to show it to users again.

>>> Just to clarify: you are agreeing that excluding the readme doc from
>>> being compressed is fine?
>> Please respect the user's compression settings there. IMHO
>> overriding
>> them with docompress -x is a big no-no.

> Then why does "docompress -x" exist at all?

Short answer, because some upstream programs access these directories
and cannot cope with compressed files there.

Long answer, see the previous discussion on this list [1] and in
bug 250077 [2].

> There seems to be a big win-win if we override the compression
> settingin this case.

I tend to disagree. We shouldn't override users' choices unless
absolutely necessary.

Ulrich

[1]
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/2fd5f58132881ef69219c126a525bce3