On 09/01/2024 11.43, Michał Górny wrote:
On Tue, 2024-01-09 at 11:39 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
Even if we say it is the user's fault, then the problem of handling a
decompressor failure would still exist. The eclass does not gracefully
continue when decompressing the doc file, but instead it runs into a
die(). To address this we would need to make unpacker.eclass and
unpack() aware of nonfatal. The latter would require a PMS change.

Or, I could duplicate unpack logic --- which is probably a lot to
account for the various compression options --- in the eclass. But I
suspect be both do not want that.

Perhaps this is the moment when you realize that there is no guarantee
that unpacker.eclass and/or unpack will support the compression format
set for docompress.  The two were never intended to interact.

Hence I wrote about making then nonfatal aware. Then greadme.eclass could try to opportunistically decompress the doc file, and simply continue with a sensible behavior it it fails.

A look at the greadme code reveals that it tries to do so already, but unfortunately unsuccessfully because nonfatal has no effect on unpacker/unpack.

- Flow