> Thanks for the update and the work on the 23.0 profiles. :)
>> Most 17.x profiles have been downgraded to "exp".
> I could imagine there is a reason to downgrade those back to 'exp',
> could you elaborate a bit on that?
>
> Isn't it bit strange that a 'stable' profiles gets downgraded back to
> 'exp'? Then again, I am not sure about the implications of this nor
> about the rationale behind it.
>
> However, I also notice that there is a outstanding PR that reverts
> that [1]. Maybe we should introduce a new state 'oldstable' or so?

I see no way of migrating to 23.0 profile because of not-recompilable
packages that are installed (over 4 years) which block --emptytree,
and do not wish to be forced to migrate to merged-usr on an openrc box
without a compelling need (on principle).

Will patching back the 17.0 profile files into the portage tree if and
when they are removed work?

Are there any options at all for this situation (like freezing the the
last supported tree protecting it from emerge-syncs, and using an
overlay for further updates?)