On 5/1/24 10:27 AM, Maciej Barć wrote:
> Maybe we could consider also adding something along the lines (4
> additional positions):
>
> 1. I have emerged the package(s) on a Gentoo-based system (be it
> "native" or virtualized by means of hardware-based virtualization or
> system layer virtualization).
> 2. I have tested that the package(s) merge inside both the user and net
> sandbox without violations on a Gentoo-based system.
> 3. I can assure that the packages would be able to be merged on the
> currently default Gentoo profile (with or without modifications to USE
> flags).
> 4. If manual intervention (beyond "emerge PKG") is required ro complete
> the install/update of the package(s) I have explained the steps needed
> to be taken in the PR and/or package ebuild(s) and/or Gentoo Wiki.

It's not obvious to me these are necessary since the entire concept
behind submitting an ebuild update is to, well, install and use it. My
base assumption is that users submitting such an update have done so
because it solved a problem for them.

This covers 1, 2, and 3, unless the user has done some fairly heavily
nonstandard things or submits effectively untested spam which admittedly
might happen -- but the checkboxes don't seem the easiest way to solve this.

4 seems semantically wrong since it's not the job of a PR to describe
what users should do to manually intervene to install a package, but
IMHO this is already covered by 3. The only interesting case I can
actually think of is where updating a package requires some sort of e.g.
database migration to run after updating and before the next use -- this
is the minority of packages and should be handled by a postinst message,
but could also be reviewed on a case by case basis...

It is *not* the job of a packager to ensure that the gentoo wiki
excellently describes how to use the software, as that's a different
skillset. I wouldn't want to discourage users from contributing code
because they aren't skilled documentarians.

The existing pull request template suggestion proposes to add checkboxes
for 3 types of requirements that aren't necessarily obvious to users who
had a problem, fixed it, and want to share the fix -- they are all about
complying with Gentoo policy.

Your 4 suggestions are all about requirements for fixing a problem and
successfully fixing it even as a local ebuild. We don't need to remind
people that the PR has to actually fix the problem.

--
Eli Schwartz