On 5/1/24 11:02 AM, Maciej Barć wrote:
> Well, not really, there were many cases where pkg was broken on sandbox!
> The latest example would be nim (before I updated it myself) where
> contributor submitted broken pkg without telling anybody. It was a WIP
> PR but nowhere they specified that it did not merge under sandbox. I
> want to encourage contributors to outright say when they know/think
> something might be wrong with package.

And adding another checkbox is going to stop people from submitting WIP
draft PRs without marking them as drafts?

Maybe the solution here is that developers who merge patches from
contributors should test the PR before merging. At least if you don't
have a preexisting relationship with the contributor such that you have
trust in the contributor to publish high quality ebuilds that pass basic
smoketests.

I mean, you probably want to do that anyway because if someone shows up
with their first ever PR and the change looks okay but has a broken
checksum it is awfully hard to tell without actually running it. I
certainly hope that if PRs are merged without being tested locally by
the developer doing the merge, that it's for proxied packages
contributed by the proxied maintainer, not packages where the Developer
that maintains the package is merging untested patches just because
someone suggested a change.

And if proxied maintainers make a habit of breaking their packages by
submitting WIP drafts maybe they aren't such great proxied maintainers
and there's a larger infrastructural problem going on.

--
Eli Schwartz