On 18/06/2024 20.21, Arthur Zamarin wrote:
On 18/06/2024 17.53, Florian Schmaus wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I think I understand now what arthur is
asking for:

src_install() {
     local DOC_CONTENTS="My README.Gentoo contents"
     readme.gentoo_create_doc
}

@arthur: is that right?

yes, exactly. Please, I suggest going over the existing eclass, you
might get surprised how much is supported already.

Given that I have been working on this for some time, I became very familiar with readme.gentoo-r1.eclass' implementation.

If so, then we could always add such an API to greadme.eclass too.
However, it appears that it simply would duplicate what can already be
done via greadme_stdin. Is there a compelling reason for such an API
that I am missing?

In any case, I wouldn't be opposed to implement something like this if
somebody asks for it.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong side. Thinking in this
"impl" possible now, I think *you* are duplicating work stuff which was
supported in readme.gentoo-r1. […]

Oh, greadme.eclass definitely duplicates functionality of readme.gentoo-r1.eclass…

What I'm trying to push you into, is understanding if you really need a
new eclass.

Yes, we have been there. Please look at the discussion in the thread "Improve readme.gentoo-r1.eclass" from two weeks ago, where it was attempted to do it without a new eclass.

The outcome was that here is no sensible way to implement all of the suggested behavior, that is now provided by greadme.eclass, into readme.gentoo-r1.eclass.

For this reason it became a new eclass. And again, I have no desire to bikeshed if the new eclass' name is greadme.eclass or readme.gentoo-r2.eclass. However, I do have a preference towards greadme.eclass, for the reasons explained before.

- Flow