G'morning everybody, Thank you all for your responses. They are appreciated.
As a few details you don't know... I posted to this list because, as a gentoo user and open source developer, I knew it was a good place for information even when the subject is somewhat off-topic and I did tag the subject as "OT". At least one of HiTech's C compilers is gcc based. Their 32-bit compiler documentation is a revised version of the gcc documentation. If recollection serves I think I saw a copy of the GPL, though I can't locate it right now. Checking on IAR's website, they support some PIC processors, but not the PIC16 processor currently involved. James, I'd appreciate your posting your PIC open source references. Again, thank you all for sharing your knowledge and expertise. Regards, David On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 06:22:20 -0500 wireless wrote: > Previously you wrote: > > Greetings, > > > > I'm using HiTech-C for the first time. > > I agree with both previous responses. > > If you insist on closed sources, look here: > http://www.microchipc.com/ > ==> Pic C Sample Code and PIC FAQ > > > However, as one who has worked with traditional > development environments for uP, here's my wisdom. > > Ditch Hi-tech C immediately. It is garbage and you'll > waist tons of time on things you should not. If you want > to use a commercial compiler, then you have to decide. > > Want a really good compiler for Microchip stuff? > > ==> IAR, as they are THE GOLD STANDARD. www.iar.com > > Sure you pay, but, in the long run, you'll be > thankful. Compilers for small micros are only as good > as the folks that develop and support them. IAR > is the best. Nobody else is even close. I know, as I use > to be part of a team, that used everything you can image. > > > Now, if you're a hack, and CHEAP, which is a compliment, > then get real and start learning how to use the open source > compilers. > > I'll dig out a few links of my PIC open source references > and post it, if you like. > > > > hth, > James
