On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:30:54AM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 07:08:28AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>
> > All Portage calls will be including --checksum in future as well.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't this require that all "end-user facing" mirrors do
> actually support checksums as well? My own tiny little community
> mirror does, but I noticed the following:
Hmm, so they use 'refuse options = checksum compress'.
That is problematic, and we'll have to get mirrors to turn it off for
the gentoo-portage module.

If you'd like to test any given mirror, please try to fetch the file
gentoo-portage/metadata/.checksum-test-marker

It contains a timestamp and instructions, and I've explicitly configured
the mtime of the file to remain static. If the timestamp inside the file
isn't recent, then you know the mirror isn't using --checksum to
communicate with upstream somewhere [1].

[1] There is no way to detect if there was an intermediate mirror that
was missing checksums, or if it was the user-facing mirror itself.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee