Robin H. Johnson (robb...@gentoo.org) wrote on Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 05:08:28AM
BRST:
> Historically, our CVS-to-rsync process was overly enthusiastic about
> updating timestamps on files, even if they hadn't changed.
>
> With the new Git-to-rsync process, we've run into a few cases where the
> mtime is not represented with sufficiently high accuracy to catch all of
> the changes, and as a result changes are being missed.
>
> Can you please alter your rsync cronjobs to include --checksum in the
> commandline?

Huh??

Denied.

> A decade ago, we didn't include --checksum in the calls, as the CPU
> power available was considerably less; however systems have improved
> tremendously since that time.

*Sigh*

The issue is not calculating checksums, it's I/O. The gentoo repository is now
335GB. It's out of question to read it all at every update.

And you should know it!

Also, we block --checksum from clients. Most big mirrors do it.

Concerning storing the checksums, you're asking mirrors to use a patched rsync
version for gentoo? Forget it.

It's the master job to update the repository as you need. Asking mirrors to
bear an enormous load because you cannot do your job is silly, to put it
mildly. You'll be ignored by big mirrors, as you've been since your first post.

If you provide a list of checksums, like Debian does, I can use it. However I
know of no other mirror that has such functionality.

BTW, we're archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br, the largest free software mirror in the
south hemisphere and one of the largest in the world.