> Regardless of implementation, the main goals are:
> 1. Adding or modifying advisories is relatively easy. Doesn't require
> programming skills.
> 2. Adding an advisory in no way risks an ebuild file. An ebuild is
> executable code and no one has time to chase down syntax errors.
> Advisories are separate.
> 3. You don't need to be the package maintainer to do it (though at this
> point I'm not sure who would -- maybe a collaboration of forum
> moderators and package maintainers?).

Though it's been many moons, and major versions since my last set of major
issues with Gentoo upgrades, I would have to agree.  I have a set of servers
that I am constantly upgrading to minimize the risk of a bunch of breaks in
order to only receive a few.

For instance, I have overlooked the currently implemented messages in the past
due to unattended upgrades.  Some of the worse breaks I've had have, on
occasion, completely crippled a system.  I have started building binary
packages as well in an attempt to revert if stuff fails, but sometimes even
that doesn't help.

Something to this order would be very beneficial.  I have currently
established a system where I periodically check my scrollback buffer until I
find some emerge notes at the end of a package installation.  From here I
copy and paste the notes into files that I so elloquently name
"emerge.<pkgname>.log".  This is the easiest way I know to do it.  I have
looked at the ebuilds before for package information, but this is only
helpful if I know that I've missed something, as I don't have time to go over
every package that gets installed or upgraded.  Usually my process of
upgrades consists of simply determining if I need the package or not.

I have been trying to find something to this resolve, cause frankly, my system
sucks and I know it's probably not the best.  For me it's the quickest, and I
was not able to think of anything else.  This is why I believe you're on the
right track.

I hope this input helps.

Thank you,

Robert Larson