On Oct 5, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:40:46 -0500 Brian Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| > It does in some places, it doesn't in others. It especially doesn't
| > for things that aren't normally found via PATH. It's a hell of a
| > mess.
|
| Examples?

Of stuff in PATH? /bin/sh is assumed throughout to be a Bourne
compatible shell (and SHELL and CONFIG_SHELL aren't universally
honoured). uname, hostname and sed are called with hard paths (with
various fallbacks) in several early on stages. Of stuff not in path?
There's no standard and widely used way of digging up where libexec
tools are.

Its not like this is unchartered territory... off the top o' me head pkgsrc, DarwinPorts, openpkg, fink, written word, autopackage, MINE, and SamHain have all tackled this in one way or the other. All of these projects have their faults (duh? but then again so does portage and the ebuild tree) but a few of them have been quite successful despite their varying points of inherent silliness.

--Kito