On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:29, Zac Medico wrote:
> Ned Ludd wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:06 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> >>Okay, new suggestion.
> >>
> >>Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods
> >> necessary to fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is.
> >> That would be 2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and
> >> get trunk out masked at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes
> >> stable put trunk into ~arch. However, instead of ~arch meaning
> >> "regression fixes only" we could just limit it to "minor changes only"
> >> (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high risk changes) until
> >> it is time to stable it.
> >
> > I think it would be wise to reconsider the cache fixes. I know you have
> > been away from irc for a while now and have missed the daily events,
> > but most of the people we have interacted with are expecting the cache
> > updates in .54 (alot of people complaining about the hanging at 50%)
> >
> > The code has been pretty well tested and seems safe on the surface. I
> > think ferringb's testing has shown that the cache updates use about 14M
> > of ram where the existing code (as of .52.x) uses about 80M of ram.
>
> But still, it's annoying to be stuck with only 2 tiers.  Why not put a
> snapshot of trunk in the tree and package.mask it?  Wouldn't that make
> everyone happy?

That's what I'm thinking. Given that the people that are being asked to stable
2.0.53 are complaining that the ldconfig fix and exec/tee fix aren't in it,
I'm certain that 2.0.54 would likely go stable *before* 2.0.53 if it is
pushed out soon. If the SHA1 stuff is dropped, I can pretty much guarantee
it. And as soon as it goes stable, trunk can be pushed into ~arch.

Doing it this way, the cache rewrite gets into ~arch at pretty much the same
time but all the other bits get added along with it. Sure it will mean that
there will be a bit of a delay before it gets into stable but if we can speed
up the release cycle the delay won't be by very much.

--
Jason Stubbs