> There is a function built_with_use().
> That function reports whether something was built with or without a specific
> USE
> flag.
> The sentence above includes the fragment 'was built with or without'.
> So it was built.
> Uh, oh, but it wasn't built!!?!?
> -> Error

Your logic is flawed. This is what it should be:

The question is:  "Was this package built, *with* a particular USE
flag?" (note my emphasis, to try to make things clearer.)

So, Python looks at the ebuild-installed packages. Not there. Next, it
looks at the package.provided packages. Let's assume the simpler case,
that it isn't there either. So, Python concludes, "Well, the package
hasn't been *built*, so it has not been built *with* any USE flags at
all. Therefore the answer is False.

If the question was to divide a number by zero, *then* I'd expect an
error to be raised.