If you haven't noticed, I just added a new 'preserve-libs' feature for
bug 62207 that moves shared object that are still used but would be
removed on an update into the new package instance (so on a update from
expat-1 to expat-2 the user would still have libexpat.so.0, owned by
expat-2). The actual match criteria are a bit stricter, but you get the
idea. I think this is an long overdue bugfix, but given past
discussions not everyone has the same opinion, though the last
discussion about it ended without a conclusion (at least none that I
could see).
So everyone who has valid objections to the _general idea_ of this
implementation (preserving old libraries to avoid some runtime linker
errors) speak up now.

Just keep the following things in mind:
- I'm not claiming that it's a silver bullet to all possible runtime
linker problems, it's supposed to cover some of the common cases (like
the expat problem)
- I'm not claiming that the implementation is perfect yet
- This feature is currently optional, so I'm not forcing it down on
anyone (in fact it's completely hidden for now). Of course if people
start using it ebuild devs will have to deal with it sooner or later,
but lets discuss it here first.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.