Marius Mauch wrote:
> So everyone who has valid objections to the _general idea_ of this
> implementation (preserving old libraries to avoid some runtime linker
> errors) speak up now.

For how long are these libraries preserved? This might have a security
impact in cases like the recent openssl-case where you had to upgrade to
an incompatible ABI because the version using the old one was
vulnerable. Using preserve-libs it would leave the old lib around,
making it possible for programs to link against the wrong version and
ending up being vulnerable. I realize that the feature is meant to help
the transitional phase until all apps are built against the new ABI, but
how would you find these vulnerable apps currently? revdep-rebuild
wouldn't rebuild them since they are still functional.

--
Kind Regards,

Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 developer