On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 15:12 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 05:23:45 -0700
> Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 13:01 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
> > > So, what do people think about removing (some) of the special
> > > treatment for the "system" and "world" targets?
> > > Mainly I'm interested in removing the "selective" parameter that's
> > > currently enabled for them (so for example without that parameter
> > > `emerge world` would default to remerging packages, unless --update
> > > or --noreplace are specified). That change has already been
> > > requested a few times in the past by users, but OTOH it could
> > > probably upset people who don't use --update with world/system.
> >
> > What would such a disruptive change really gain us?
>
> The goal is to make package sets behave in a consistent way.
>
> > I personally feel our users need consistency from Gentoo. If they
> > grew up doing 'emerge world' and have come to expect that behavior
> > and all of the sudden we change behavior on them.. Yeah I can see
> > how ppl would get upset.
>
> As do I, which is why I haven't simply changed it.
>
> > Perhaps a less intrusive way would be to introduce another
> > flag to get the specified behavior you are after.
>
> Well, the primary goal is to make all sets behave in a consistent way.
> And some sets have the explicit purpose to rebuild stuff, so making
> sets "selective" by default also has issues.
> The proposed change would also make sets behave in the same way as
> packages which is IMO another benefit.
> But as I said, I can see that it could upset people.
>
> One possible solution that I've thought about would be to remove the
> hardcoded "selective" parameter and let the set configuration determine
> if a set is selective or not (with missing = "false"), and then enable
> it for world and system in our default config, e.g.
>
> [world]
> class = portage.sets.files.WorldSet
> selective = True
>
> and extend the --rebuild option with new arguments "always" and "never".
> Don't really like the additional complexity though (and I haven't
> checked how much work it would be).

To me this really sounds like it's -e world but just with the world
file. Literally as if you were to do an
emerge -p $(</var/lib/portage/world)
Assuming that is what you intend for it to behave like then how about
using -E for this behavior? Everybody would profit and nobody would
become disgruntled when all of the sudden emerge started spiking
the power bills. :)

--
Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>