On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:56:20 -0500
Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Duncan wrote:
> > "--jobs=10 --keep-going --load-average=15"
>
> For a dual-dual-core setup, a load average of 4.0 is "fully loaded".

Only in ideal cases, when you have long-running processes
hammering the cpu and little or no context switches. This isn't the case
with builds, the actual compile processes that need cpu time usually
terminate very quickly, which increases the load average.
I did some benchmarking a while ago with different combinations of -j
and -l in MAKEOPTS, using the kernel as testcase, and IIRC the fastest
builds were around -l6.0 (on a dual-core system) and high (or
unlimited) values for -j (sidenote here: some ebuilds like openoffice
parse MAKEOPTS to get parameters for their own build systems, but only
recognize/support -j and ignore -l, so one should still be careful with
the value for -j).

Marius