On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 02:42 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Alec Warner posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:18:53 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> >> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
> >> None specified
> >
> > I used to maintain this; but I don't see a compelling reason to use it
> > over eix, so I recommend removal.
>
> FWIW, I use esearch (heh, just looked up eix with it).  I have it
> embedded in my update script as well, to update its database, and have a
> few front-ends for it (ehome being the most used), which return just the
> specified data.
>
> So switching to eix if esearch is treecleaned wouldn't be entirely
> painless, but it shouldn't be overly painful, either.

Don't worry, It's not getting treecleaned.  Especially after we just did
a bunch of work on it to bring it up to date.  Fuzzyray prefers it over
eix for one.  And is why it was updated.  Personally I don't use it
much, I tend to use porthole for searching.  Even though I have eix
installed, I rarely use it, just usually for some testing.

If your scripts are python based instead of bash based.  Like most
everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts.  No need
to parse output.  I also added layman syncing to it, both by importing
my new layman api or by subprocessing it for older layman versions.

--
Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org>