Brian Dolbec posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:59:08 -0700 as excerpted:

> If your scripts are python based instead of bash based.  Like most
> everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
> good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts.  No need
> to parse output.

Bash based.  I keep thinking I'll learn python one of these days, but
never seem to get the properly curved tuit. =:^\

But many are trivial front-ends anyway:

$ cat `which ehome`
#!/bin/bash
# esearch, output package and homepage only

exec esearch -o%p\\n%h\\n\\n $*

FWIW I've a whole slew of emerge front-ends too, ea* for emerge --ask, ep*
for emerge --pretend.  Example: eas for emerge --ask @system (it also
feeds --update --deep --newuse --jobs=X --load-average=Y to it).  And I
extended gentoo's bash-completion scripts and reapplied them, so I still
get tab-completion for package names, etc.  I just don't have to feed in
the long string of options I'd normally need to get the intended effect;
they're all 2-4 letter commands starting with ea or ep, so tab-
completable on their own. =:^)