On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 07:41:21PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:20:04 -0800 W. Trevor King wrote:

> > > Exactly, without knowledge codification all that will continue
> > > to be a "feel like", "probably not", "shouldn't", "unless some".
> >
> > I don't see that as a problem.  I guess I just have more faith
> > that current devs will put in a reasonable best-effort without
> > codification beyond “here are some conventions you may want to
> > use”, and that future devs will be competent enough to still be
> > productive in the face of unhelpful commit messages.
>
> If they are just mentioned at random all the time, perhaps half of
> them get remembered or so; the half of what is remembered gets given
> through to the next generation of future devs, this up to the point
> that it would have been a better idea to write this down than to
> have faith.

I'm all for recording suggested conventions in DEVELOPING, but I don't
think it's worth the trouble to over-specify the conditions under
which each tag should be used, or to lay out consequences for cases
where they're forgotten.  The faith part is trusting devs to
understand and apply the written suggestions, not in determining what
the suggestions are.

Cheers,
Trevor