On 21 Oct 2015 16:35, Paul Varner wrote:
> On 10/20/2015 03:34 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> > On 15/10/15 19:42, Paul Varner wrote:
> > > Over the last couple of days, I have done the following:
> >
> > > 1. Migrated the gentoolkit-dev branch to its own gentoolkit-dev.git
> > > repository
> > > 2. Moved the gentoolkit branch to master on the
> > > gentoolkit.git repository
> > Why did you not just make gentoolkit master, and leave gentoolkit-dev as
> > a branch? That's certainly the common way of using git.
> >

> Mainly, because at this point gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev are now
> almost completely separate code bases as well as being separate packages.
>
> They share a common ancestry and that can be seen looking through the
> commit log, but starting with gentoolkit-0.2.5, gentoolkit started
> migrating to python as the only scripting language and utilizing the
> Portage API with setuptools as the build system. The two remaining bash
> scripts are being rewritten in python and when that is complete, they
> will be completely separate code bases.
>
> gentoolkit-dev has stayed as a collection of stand-alone scripts written
> in multiple languages intended mainly for Gentoo developers.
>
> Since they really do not share any code anymore, it did not make sense
> to me keeping gentoolkit-dev as a branch and it should be in its own
> repository.

echangelog is the only non-shell/python script, and arguably not useful
anymore.  repoman itself has a changelog option, and since the move to
git, we don't commit ChangeLog entries anymore.  i would just punt it.

there's also eviewcvs written in perl, but that's also dead now that
we use git, so it should be punted.

that really only leaves three:
 - ebump - bash
 - ekeyword - python
 - imlate - python

why not merge them into a single repo ?  you can have a dev/ subdir
for scripts that are more developer oriented and put them behind a
USE=dev flag.
-mike