On 11/11/18 18:41, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 12:31 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.ever...@iee.org> wrote:
>> Binpkgs are also a popular component of a few downstream distro's based on
>> Gentoo (thinking pentoo right now as an easy example).
>>
>> So we don't want to break existing users of this format without considering
>> the ramifications for these scenarios, as you'll have some very grumpy
>> devs...
>>
> I'd argue that they'd be more important for Gentoo if they were more
> useful.  IMO the main limitation with them is the inability to
> auto-download them from a repository, detecting the binpkg USE flags
> BEFORE downloading.  This is why I suggested hashing the USE flags or
> similar and sticking that in the filename.
>
> Obviously you can't host a repository with all the USE combinations.
> However, you could have a reference repo and the package manager could
> check it before doing a build.  If you get a hit then you can install
> the binpkg.  If you don't then you can do a source build.
>
> Portage already checks the USE flags inside the binpkg before merging
> it and by default doesn't use a non-matching binpkg.  The problem with
> the current approach is:
> 1.  You have to download the package to check this (could be a big file).
> 2.  You can't host multiple versions of a binpkg with different USE
> flags since the filenames collide.
>
> I suggested a content hash because you can use it for an arbitrary
> amount of metadata, vs having to cram arch/USE/multilib and I'm sure
> something I'm missing into a filename.  Make the hash as short as is
> economical - it isn't like we have THAT many permutations, the PM can
> still check the internal metadata, and this isn't a security feature.

If you can really present a decent argument for replicating the
functionality of other distros like Debian, Arch, Ubuntu etc then let's
here it. For now, the strength of Gentoo is being able to fully customise a
system to your own requirements, not being trapped by some distro
maintainer's arbitrary choices. Play to your USP's and strengths rather
than chasing rainbows ..