On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 01:21 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
> Il giorno dom 11 nov 2018 alle ore 22:17 Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
> ha scritto:
>
> > On Sun, 2018-11-11 at 21:53 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > [...-]
> > Of course, one option would be to use ZIP ;-).

I wasn't serious there.

> Zip archives have another big advantage; there is an index of files, so
> listing the archive contents and extracting a single file is very fast and
> does not depend from it's position in the archive.
> The big disadvantage is that only "desktop" profile has unzip by default

The two main problems with ZIP is that:

1. As you noted, it's not present in core system packages.

2. It uses trailer format which means that you need to fetch the whole
file before being able to process it.

There was also some patent hassle back in the day but I think it's no
longer applicable today.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny