At 18:25 +0200 on 2005-6-28 Alexander Meyer wrote:

 > i'm running gentoo on my tibook 550 (powerbook3,3 that is in
 > kernelspeak) and noticed that with a 2.4 kernel as well as under
 > macos the fan hardly ever kicks in, even when the computer gets
 > quite hot while with the 2.6 kernel the fan wouldn't stop running.

FWIW, I have noticed the same behaviour on a Tibook rev III
(PowerBook3,4), though the change in fan behaviour happened to me
between two 2.6 versions (not very sure which ones, but I am almost
sure that 2.6.7 was between the last kernels that made the fan shut up
from time to time).

By the way, I since upgraded the logic board and the machine has
become a rev IV.  The fans (now two of them) seem to be on all the
time.  This is not so much of a problem anymore since the fans are
much more silent than the original (sole) fan, but I am not sure
whether this is as it should be.

As far as I know the fans are hardware controlled on these models, so
the fans should not be affected by a kernel change... except that they
do just that.  Must be grmelins in there or something.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic.