On Di, Jun 28 2005 at 07:22:33 -0400, Carl Hudkins wrote:
> On Tue June 28 2005 16:34, Stefan Bruda wrote:
>
> > Oh, of course therm_adt746x won't load, sorry for not mentioning it.
> > There is as far as I know no option in the kernel config for thermal
> > management on these machines.  I am clueless as to why is the fan
> > behaving differently, it simply shouldn't.
>
>  I'm not an expert here, but could it be the kernel is not using some kind of
> CPU idling when it's not busy?  Maybe the CPU is actually running hotter than
> it used to.  Just an idea, may not be founded in fact.  ;)

Well, if there's no means to control when the fan starts it probably
_is_ something like this. i'll try some earlier 2.6 kernels then since
Stefan earlier stated that this change didn't occur at the 2.4->2.6
switch but somewhere in the early 2.6 series (IIRC before 2.6.7).
i'm hardly using the machine anymore because that goddamn fan is just
too annoying and if i try to compensate by turning up my music the
neighbors will complain after a while ;(