darren kirby wrote:
Yeah well, me again. Seems I'm the only one having trouble with PPC these days.

I got Xorg 7.1, fluxbox, and KDE installed. After creating an xorg.conf with Xorgautoconfig I quickly realized I indeed had the problem hinted at re: VGA BIOS. So I ~ppc64 keyworded xf86-video-ati and emerged version 6.6.3 which applies the patch that was also hinted at. The results are identical however. X starts and is running, as is fluxbox, but there is nothing on my screen. The only difference is that this time the power LED on my montor goes out when I start X, whereas before it stayed on.

Also, there is a difference in Xorg.0.log: X now seems to think that I have a second CRT monitor attached!?
(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
 Monitor   -- TMDS
 Connector -- DVI-D
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Internal
 DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
 Monitor   -- CRT
 Connector -- VGA
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- External
 DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC

I have tried with the default xorg.conf that was generated, and I tried all manner of tweaks that I gleamed from gentoo-wiki, "man xorg.conf", and "man radeon". I have tried commenting and uncommenting individual "Options" from xorg.conf but the result is always the same.

I have tried dropping down to 16 bit color depth and down to 1600x1024 resolution, with no joy.

Can anyone even confirm that they have gotten an 23" cinema display and a radeon 9600 to work with Xorg? I would _really_ love to see your xorg.conf if you have. I don't know what else to say. There are no errors in my log (though there are some warnings). If you want/need further information just let me know...

I have posted the log and my current conf file in my webspace:
http://badcomputer.org/xorg.conf.txt
http://badcomputer.org/xorg.log.txt

xorg-x11-7.1
mesa-6.5-r3
xf86-video-ati-6.6.3

PowerMac G5 2x 2.0GHz
Ati Radeon 9600 23" Apple Cinema Display

I would appreciate any ideas.

-d
Try Xorgconfig   auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17 Studio
also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine every time

Good Luck --
gentoo-ppc-user@gentoo.org mailing list