On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 16:54 +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally got it; my Operaton workstation with 2x Opteron248 CPUs and 4GB RAM
> is arrived. However, the BIOS says that I really have 4GB RAM inside, that I
> have, but the Linux is just telling me something about 3GB.
The upper 1G is sometimes lost to PCI etc. adress space
Especially in 32bit mode since the kernel has to allocate some space for
PCI, DMA buffers, ... and it has to fit into 32bit adress space (and 4G
~= 32bit)
>  `free -mt` as
> well as `kinfocenter` are telling this. Although, I (unfortunately) *had* to
> install windows2003 on a partition, too (for working for my company), and
> there it is also just telling me something about 3 (instead of 4) GB RAM.
known "bug" in windows, it can only use 3G
> Did I miss something?
re-check the BIOS and kernel config ... I've seen it working with 4G :-)
> mem=4096M in boot commandline didn't help there much.
>
> I'm having a TYAN board, with PhoenixBIOS on it. The handbook is far off
> being
> a good handbox, so, did I miss something I should configure/reconfigure in
> the BIOS then, so, that the OS will use all RAM?
>
> I found something about "Memory hole" and "1024MB". maybe this is my missing
> 1GB? But I can't really disable it, although, playing around w/ this value
> didn't change anything (yet)...
Sounds right, but I don't know what exactly would need changing

Patrick