Christian Parpart wrote:
> On Saturday 14 May 2005 6:28 pm, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
>
>>Christian Parpart wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I finally got it; my Operaton workstation with 2x Opteron248 CPUs and 4GB
>>>RAM is arrived. However, the BIOS says that I really have 4GB RAM inside,
>>>that I have, but the Linux is just telling me something about 3GB. `free
>>>-mt` as well as `kinfocenter` are telling this. Although, I
>>>(unfortunately) *had* to install windows2003 on a partition, too (for
>>>working for my company), and there it is also just telling me something
>>>about 3 (instead of 4) GB RAM.
>>>
>>>Did I miss something?
>>>
>>>mem=4096M in boot commandline didn't help there much.
>>>
>>>I'm having a TYAN board, with PhoenixBIOS on it. The handbook is far off
>>>being a good handbox, so, did I miss something I should
>>>configure/reconfigure in the BIOS then, so, that the OS will use all RAM?
>>
>>theese are more or less memory related values in my kernel config
>>
>>CONFIG_MTRR=y
>>CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
>>CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
>>CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ zgrep -E 'CONFIG_(MTRR|K8_NUMA|DISCONTIGMEM|
> GARTIOMMU)' /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_MTRR=y
> CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
> CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
>
> though, CONFIG_GART_IOMMU must have been disabled, and I remember I did not
> enable gart at all because I'm having Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (PCI-express) and
> wanna use the `Option "NvAGP" "1"` line in my xorg.conf - this is at least
> what I had with my old GeForce 5200 working before.
>

>>and this my "free" output:
>>free -m
>>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>>Mem:          3429       3069        359          0        627       1775
>>-/+ buffers/cache:        667       2762
>>Swap:            0          0          0
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ free -m
> Mem:          3015       2990         24          0         11       2136
> -/+ buffers/cache:        843       2172
> Swap:          511         19        492
>
> that's really borring looking at the Mem-total line, it should be anything
> around 4048, not 3015 anyway...
>
> though, it's unfortunately *not* the same as you.
>
> but, why duo have a total-mem of 3429M? how much RAM duo have physically
> plugged in to your board's slots?

(1G+1G) + (1G+1G)

and "dmidecode" show this about memory:

[...]
Handle 0x0022
        DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
        Memory Device
                Array Handle: 0x0020
                Error Information Handle: 0x001F
                Total Width: 72 bits
                Data Width: 64 bits
                Size: 1024 MB
                Form Factor: DIMM
                Set: None
                Locator: DIMM0
                Bank Locator: BANK0
                Type: SDRAM
                Type Detail: Synchronous
                Speed: Unknown
                Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
                Serial Number: SerNum1
                Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
                Part Number: PartNum1
Handle 0x0023
        DMI type 126, 19 bytes.
        Inactive
Handle 0x0024
        DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
        Memory Device
                Array Handle: 0x0020
                Error Information Handle: 0x001F
                Total Width: 72 bits
                Data Width: 64 bits
                Size: 1024 MB
                Form Factor: DIMM
                Set: None
                Locator: DIMM1
                Bank Locator: BANK1
                Type: SDRAM
                Type Detail: Synchronous
                Speed: Unknown
                Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
                Serial Number: SerNum2
                Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
                Part Number: PartNum2
[...]
Handle 0x0026
        DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
        Memory Device
                Array Handle: 0x0020
                Error Information Handle: 0x001F
                Total Width: Unknown
                Data Width: Unknown
                Size: No Module Installed
                Form Factor: DIMM
                Set: None
                Locator: DIMM2
                Bank Locator: BANK2
                Type: Unknown
                Type Detail: Unknown
                Speed: Unknown
                Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
                Serial Number: SerNum2
                Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
                Part Number: PartNum2
Handle 0x0027
        DMI type 126, 19 bytes.
        Inactive
Handle 0x0028
        DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
        Memory Device
                Array Handle: 0x0020
                Error Information Handle: 0x001F
                Total Width: Unknown
                Data Width: Unknown
                Size: No Module Installed
                Form Factor: DIMM
                Set: None
                Locator: DIMM3
                Bank Locator: BANK3
                Type: Unknown
                Type Detail: Unknown
                Speed: Unknown
                Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
                Serial Number: SerNum2
                Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
                Part Number: PartNum2
Handle 0x0029
[...]

I've not time/possibility to investigate it further, if you came to a
solution ... sharing will be higly apreciated

Regards,
Francesco Riosa